* Specialised sports massage / body alignment
* Sports nutrition
* Naturopathic support for improved performance
Are you interested in getting that little bit extra out of your body? Do you want to get solid advice based on evidence and individual testing which supplements and dietary guidelines are right for you? Do you want to know what is required to keep you fighting fit?
Whether you are a serious elite athlete or just like to stay in shape, as a sports therapist, naturopath, nutritionist and competitive sprinter herself, Daniela @ Tonika Health provides a unique combination of knowledge and experience that will help you get ahead of the pack, scrunch those crucial seconds and centimeters or get you over that final hurdle.
Daniela herself has won numerous medals of all shades in state, national and international athletics competitions in 100, 200 and 400m sprint. Having received a 'definitely no more running for you' diagnosis and a bleak prognosis of chronic pain and disability from a sports doctor a few years back, she nurtured herself back to competition form against the odds as ultimate proof of how much can be achieved. She will be an ideal addition to your support team, providing you with the extra edge.
Specialised sports massage / body alignment: Training shortens and slightly injures muscles and tendons. There's no way around that. Yet any shortening of the fibres reduces contraction potential and therefore the strength and power a muscle can generate. Cross-linking of fascia and accumulation of scar tissue adds to the problem and increases your risk of injury.
Benefits of specialised, deep sports massage include freeing that locked muscle potential, reduction of recurrent soreness (e.g. after competition), aligning the body for optimal function and overall improved performance.
“The massage treatment provided by Daniela assisted greatly in my recovery between training sessions, allowing me to train harder and more often – this was a significant factor in my successful bid to break the Masters 3 World Pursuit Record in early 2010 and ever since. I also benefited greatly from the general health and dietary advice – thanks Daniela! I think massage therapy should be a part of any serious athlete’s regime.” Dave Stevens
- 2010 World Champion & World Record Holder 3000m Pursuit (M3)
- 2010 World Champion Points Race (M3)
- 2011 Australian Champion 3000m Pursuit (M3)
- 2011 Australian Champion Points Race (M3)
- 2011 Australian Champion Criterium (M3)
- 2010 Sydney Metropolitan Champion (Elite)
- 2010 Australian Champion Points Race (M3)
Sports nutrition: Optimising the way you eat to what you are trying to achieve is an essential component of your achievements. Many times we have seen incredible improvements simply from adjusting nutrient intake. For others it is about finding the right supplements and knowing how to take them. Stop wondering if you are simply producing expensive urine, whether you taking too much or not enough and rely on our evidence-based advice.
Another common issue for sports people is achieving and maintaining ideal body composition. We perform advanced in-house testing to check not only quantity of your muscles but also their quality.
"After years of training consistently and slowly chipping away at my goals, I came to realise that age is catching up and I would need to do at extra bit to get to my goals quicker. Had a chat to Daniela. She did some tests and made suggestions for me. I followed these religiously and basically got to train harder and ultimately within a short time got a personal best of all time at the age of 44 in the 100m and 200m. So thanks to Daniela for a simple solution and a fantastic result." Jackie Bezuidenhout
- 2012 Australian Masters Athletics Championships: Champion of Champions - Silver
- 2011 World Masters Athletics Championships, Sacramento USA: 100m and 200m – Silver
- 2011 Australian Masters Athletics Championships: 60m – Gold
- 2011, 2012 Australian Masters Athletics Championships: 100m and 200m – Silver
- 2009 World Masters Athletics Championships, Finland: 4x100m (World Record) and 4x400m – Gold
- 2008 World Indoor Championships, Clermont Farrand, France: 4x200m – Silver
- 2005 World Championships, San Sebastian, Spain: 4x100m – Silver
- 2004 Australian Masters Athletics Championships 100m and 200m - Gold
Naturopathic support for improved performance: Also being able to draw on a wealth of naturopathic knowledge and expertise, Daniela can help you to overcome most other problems hindering your performance. Whether frequent infections interrupt your training, sleeping trouble leaves you unable to give your best or you just feel like your body keeps letting you down with muscle cramps, frequent injuries or fatigue, we are here to help.
“Ever since I have started being treated by Daniela from Tonika Health in 2009, my results in major championships have improved exponentially. I really believe that Daniela’s holistic approach to her treatment which involves for me, both massage and naturopathy, has provided me with the last few percent I feel I was missing in my preparation and training. I have recommended Daniela to several other cyclists and they too are happy with their progress as a result.” Gavin White
- 2011, 2009 – World Masters Championships Sprint – Gold
- 2011 – World Masters Championships Time Trial – Gold
- 2011, 2009 – World Masters Championships Team Sprint – Gold
- 2010, 2009 – National Masters Championships Sprint – Gold
- 2010, 2009 – National Masters Championships Time Trial – Gold
- 2010, 2009 – National Masters Championships Team Sprint – Gold
- 2009 – World Record Team Sprint (World Masters)
- 2009 – World Masters Championships Time Trial – Silver
"Although only being treated by Daniela for a few months, she has enabled me to reach my potential through her holistic approach to health. She has helped me fill in the gaps with my diet and I have no doubt that she is a mass contributor to my success in the past few months, and will continue to strongly, and positively influence the way I train into next year, in preparation to try and qualify for the IAAF World Junior Championships." Ben Cox
- 2010, 2011 Under 18 Australian Junior and Youth Triple Jump Champion
- 2009, 2010, 2011 NSW All Schools Triple & Long Jump Champion
- 2009, 2010 Australian All Schools U18 Bronze Medallist